What to Eat for Nail Health...
Keeping your nails looking and feeling healthy requires lots of different things. But don’t worry, over the weeks I’m going to share some of the most important things you should be using and doing in order to get and keep your nails HEALTHY!
For today, let’s go through some things you can eat and drink that can ultimately help your nail health.
- VEGGIES – yes vegetables are an important part of your diet, not just for overall body function, but the nutrients also make their way to your nails. Eat plenty of dark leafy greens like Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, and Collard Greens because they will keep your nails tough by providing enough iron, calcium, and folate. If you don’t like a lot of green veggies, you can find powder veggie supplements that you can add to a smoothie instead. Mask the veggie taste with fruits or juices and you won’t even realize you’re getting your daily dose of veggies!
- FRUITS – The best fruits to add to your diet are Blueberries, for their magical antioxidant properties, Strawberries, for their large amounts of Vitamin C, and Bananas, for their nutritious amounts of Vitamins A and B6. Each of these things are essential and can transform your nails from brittle to strong in no time at all. I actually have a fruit smoothie every single day as my mid morning snack and it helps me get my daily dose of fruits.....and it keeps me from reaching for the not so good snacks, HAH.
- LEAN MEATS – whether you eat turkey, chicken, or beef, lean meats are a great source of protein. Did you know your nails are made out of mostly protein?! Go right to the source and give your nails what they need most, more protein! But remember, LEAN is the magic word here because we do still want to keep our entire bodies healthy and fatty meats can slow us down.
- WATER – drinking plenty of water will never be a bad thing. Not only is it essential for our bodies in general, it also does wonders for our nails and especially our cuticles! It’s simple really, add more moisture to your body, and your nails will benefit by being stronger, more hydrated, and less likely to break! I try to fill my water bottle 4 times throughout the day – when I can count it out, it makes it easier for me to remember how much more water I need.
- SUPPLEMENTAL VITAMINS – if you’re worried you’re not getting enough nutrients from the food you’re eating (or not eating), you can always take vitamin supplements. BIOTIN is #1 and I take this every single day. It is the best vitamin for Hair, Skin, and Nails! The holy grail 😊 But also, Vitamin C, A, and B6 are other great vitamins that can benefit your nail health.
Now that you know what to consume, always remember to also apply cuticle oil daily and keep your hands moisturized. I hope some of my tips help you with a healthier routine, and if you’re already doing all of these things, good for you and keep slaying. STAY HEALTHY!